From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Waldo Vieira (born 12 April 1932) is a Brazilian dentist and physician who first proposed the theories of projectiology and conscientiology two closely related nascent sciences which posit that human consciousness is a non-physical phenomenon. That is, Vieira argues that consciousness has an existence independent from the body, basing his claims on various accounts of out-of-body experiences and other psychical phenomena. He has written over twenty books on vital energy, parapsychical and personal development, and out-of-body experiences, including accounts of personal experiences.
Waldo Vieira was born on 12 April 1932, in Monte Carmelo, Minas Gerais, Brazil. He is a physician and a dentist. He also holds a post-graduate degree in plastic surgery, earned in Tokyo, Japan. Vieira claims to have begun experiencing out-of-body experiences at the age of 9, and for the past 40 years he has explored the idea of consciousness as something other than the body.
Having written four 1000+ page treatises, a series of books and hundreds of articles, Vieira is among the most prolific authors on the subject. However, his work has been described as reflecting "the author's strong personal beliefs", which cause "many [of his] statements [to] seem strident, even dogmatic." Still, it has also been argued that his work has some value "as a phenomenological treatise with applications to the consensual world that necessitate verification or refutation by other researchers."
He was the founder and president of the International Institute of Projectiology and Conscienciology (IIPC), and is also a long standing member of the American Society for Psychical Research (ASPR) in New York, USA, the Society for Psychical Research (SPR) in London, England, the Brazilian Association of Parapsychology in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, among others.
He has also assembled one of the largest libraries in the world on the subject of Consciousness, which includes works ranging from parapsychology to eastern mysticism. It is open to the public in CEAEC, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil.
 Recent work
Waldo Vieira currently lives in Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, where he has founded the CEAEC - in Portuguese, Center of Higher Studies of the Consciousness - where he resides and works daily on the Encyclopedia of Conscienciology, to be completed in the year 2011. It is estimated to have 2000 terms related to the studies of consciousness.
The terms of the Encyclopedia are debated daily in the "Tertúlias" - a series of discussions led by Vieira and open to the public for free. These discussions are broadcast daily through the internet, from 12:30 PM to 14:30 PM (GMT -3), and can be viewed through the website Tertúlias da Conscienciologia.
- "Review of Projectiology: A Panorama of Experiences of the Consciousness Outside the Human Body". The Journal of Parapsychology. Spring 2004. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2320/is_1_68/ai_n13699206. Retrieved September 16, 2008.
- International Academy of Consciousness
- International Institute of Projectiology and Conscientiology
- CEAEC - Center for Higher Studies of Conscientiology
- Journal of Parapsychology review of Projectiology: A Panorama of Experiences of the Consciousness Outside the Human Body
- Description of treatise Projectiology by publisher
- Realms of Consciousness (1999) Documentary featuring Dr. Waldo Vieira
- Trailer of "Out-of-Body Experience: Glimpse of Immortality" (2000) Docudrama featuring Dr. Waldo Vieira
- "Waldo Vieira" at Conscienciopedia