Wednesday 22 March 2023

Making Your Imagination Work for You/ Nikola Tesla







- from “Making Your Imagination Work for You”, M.K. Wisehart, American Magazine, 1921
Read the full article here: https://tinyurl.com/Teslaimagination
Pictured: Nikola Tesla, c. 1940 (ref FB)


Understanding the inner experiences of people like Telsa may give us clues to devoloping creativity to a high degree in human beings.


During my boyhood I had suffered from a peculiar affliction due to the appearance of images, which were often accompanied by strong flashes of light. When a word was spoken, the image of the object designated would present itself so vividly to my vision that I could not tell whether what I saw was real or not. If I had witnessed a funeral, or perhaps come close to some wounded animal while on a hunting trip, then inevitably in the stillness of night a vivid picture of the scene would thrust itself before my eyes and persist, despite all my efforts to banish it. Even though I reached out and passed my hand through it, the image would remain fixed in space.

In trying to free myself from these tormenting appearances, I tried to concentrate my mind on some peaceful, quieting scene I had witnessed. This would give me momentary relief; but when I had done it two or three times the remedy would begin to lose its force. Then I began to take mental excursions beyond the small world of my actual knowledge. Day and night, in imagination, I went on journeys — saw new places, cities, countries, and all the time I tried very hard to make these imaginary things very sharp and clear in my mind. I imagined myself living in countries I never had seen, and I made imaginary friends, who were very dear to me and really seemed alive.

There are many references on google search to flashes of lightning in meditation (eg. Shabd Yoga) during concentration. We are assuming here that such experiences may largely have a psychic or non-physical origin rather than a physical/ psychiatric one. RS













No comments:

Post a Comment

Sivananda and Samadhi..

  Guide to Samadhi by Swami Sivananda CHARACTERISTICS OF SAMADHI When the mind is completely absorbed in one object of meditation, it is ter...